Let’s face it, we all experience reading slumps at one point or another. Sometimes you just can’t bring yourself to dive into another book. At times it’s because you have a book hangover from an amazing book. Other times these things just happen randomly. So, I have compiled a list of books that help me out of my reading slumps.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling:
- I think that returning to a well known and well loved world is the easiest way to get back into reading. There’s little thinking that has to be done. But, at the same time the story is rich and vibrant.
- Slammed by Colleen Hoover
- When I’m in a reading slump a really angsty contemporary read is a quick fix. I can throw myself in a story where the characters drive the story. It is much easier for me to get invested since I don’t have to worry about world building.
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
- Along those same line I love cutsy reads. This book was whimsical, adorable, and engrossing. I flew through this book and absolutely adored it. Sometimes I just need a little lighthearted romance to get me through a book hangover.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
- Along the same lines as Harry Potter, Percy Jackson is like revisiting an old friend.It’s familiar yet enticing. Each time I read this book I find a new aspect that I didn’t notice before.
- The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
- This book is a new addition to this list. I just finished it last night. However, I can totally picture myself picking this back up to get me into reading. It was great. We will be doing a group discussion on this book on Saturday, December 17th. So, keep an eye out for it.
What books help you get out of reading slumps?