It’s only a few days from 2018 and I’m starting to write down my goals and resolutions for the new year.
So far though, it hasn’t been super promising.
Because I’m struggling to come up with goals, I thought I would use today’s Top Five Wednesday to put together a 2018 wishlist. This wishlist isn’t about particular books that are coming out, but what genres and tropes I hope to see more of in 2018.
With that, lets get this started.
1. Young Adult Thrillers
- I feel like we’ve started to see more of these, but I want to see them take a step ahead of fantasy. While I love the YA fantasy genre, I feel like I need a bit of a break.
2. Accurate Mental Health Portrayals
- This was a mouthful. I started 2017 reading Eliza and Her Monters and it was the first book I’ve read that seemed to describe the way anxiety actually works to a T. It was nice to see a more accurate portrayal and I’m hoping that mental health falls under our attempts at being more inclusive as a genre.
3. Criminal POV
- What a weird way to explain something, but I loved Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom. I want more of a view from the “bad guy” this year.
4. Mindy McGinnis
- I think this might break the rules a little bit for this post, but I don’t care. I want more from her. Everything she writes is gold and I will not rest until I have another book from her.
- I don’t mean fantasy style stories (but really what else is a story that incorporates magic?) but I want more books with new and different elements of magic in them. I love the Throne of Glass series and everything, but I want to read more books that don’t incorporate elemental magic.