With the new year I have really been thinking about my life in the book blogging community. Within this community I have found great friends, wonderful books, and a sense of camaraderie. Joining the book blogging and bookstagram communities have been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
However, it has also changed my mindset with reading. Slowly but surely reading became a means to an end all of a sudden. I had to finish a book to stay up to date with everyone else. I had to finish a book to write a review. I had to read a book to make a relevant post. I had to read a book for, etc.
Rather than enjoying the process of reading and the book itself. I began to value what the outcome of reading it would be. So, this year I’m going to do things a little differently. Here are 10 things I will change in 2018.
- Change my mindset: Read for the pleasure of reading.
- Read more books that are Non-Fiction.
- Enjoy the journey of a book.
- Read a book without forcing myself to create a post for it.
- Write more for fun.
- Try a book I never would try previously.
- Get book recommendations from people with different backgrounds.
- Research more: historical context, authors, cultures, etc. Just go deeper.
- Read more poetry.
- Care less about what people think about the books I read.
This year is going to be a year about myself as a reader. Rather than attempting to fit into a mold I will read what I want when I want to. The book community values all kinds of readers. I need to remember that.